Unexpected log messages

I am using notecard_pi.py and started noticing a large number of log messages:
Lock 3056999600 acquired on serial.lock
Lock 3056999600 released on serial.lock
every time code invokes a notecard function.
Search through all my code, no luck. For the life of me, where are those strings coming from?!

Hey @Francois that’s odd. I just double-checked to make sure we didn’t let a stray print sneak into the latest release, but it doesn’t look like it, so this must be a debug statement from the filelock library. Let me poke around and see if that’s the case and if we can disable it.

@Francois confirmed, it’s the filelock library, which we use to prevent multiple conflicting Notecard operations over serial on the Raspberry Pi. py-filelock/filelock.py at b30bdc4fb998f5f4350257235eb51147f9e81862 · benediktschmitt/py-filelock · GitHub. It doesn’t look like the library provides an easy way to opt out of this logging (which is unfortunate). If this is a nuisance to you, I can log an issue with them, push a fix or potentially find an alternative library for us to include.

Thanks. Looks like switching to I2C does create the log entries. Checking overnight.

@Francois did you mean to say it does not? Please let me know what you find because that would definitely be a regression if filelock is logging on I2C operations. It should be a serial-only dependency.

Overnight result: there is no logging on I2C. Only on Serial.

1 Like

Great, thanks for following up @Francois

Makes my i2c decision look prescient! :wink:

1 Like