Notecard.py error

Trouble connecting through I2C from Pi Pico to Notecarrier A. Using the following micropython code:

sda=machine.Pin(4)
scl=machine.Pin(5)
productUID = “xxx.xxxxxx.xxx” (in my code this is my UID, just edited out here)
i2c=machine.I2C(0, sda=sda, scl=scl)
print(i2c)
card = notecard.OpenI2C(i2c, 0, 0, debug=True)

This was following the online blues.io tutorial

I get the following errors:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 19, in
File “/lib/notecard/notecard.py”, line 455, in init
File “/lib/notecard/notecard.py”, line 205, in init
File “/lib/notecard/notecard.py”, line 415, in Reset
OSError: [Errno 5] EIO

It appears to be an error in the init section of notecard.py

Anyone have a suggestion?

Hi @BCANDER and welcome to the Blues community!

At first glance this looks like an I2C error. Can you double check your wiring to the Pico (and maybe send a picture in case we can help identify any issues)?

Thanks,
Rob

Thanks! Having fun learning Pi Pico/micropython/blues.io/Twilio. Nice tutorials on youtube, by the way.
That is what I thought on the wiring, but couldn’t find any issues. I moved over to channel 1, though (on pins 2 and 3) and everything works now, so I must have had something wired wrong. Thanks for the help.System is working great for a beginner.

One hardware question while I have you. I am getting some _health.qo files sent to notehub with the body:

"text": "modem overcurrent (4.47V 21.25C)"

I assume this is just fluctuations since I am running off the VBUS on Pico, but anything to worry about?

Brian

Hi @BCANDER,

How are you powering your setup? And can you send an image? My concern is you are supplying 5v to the Notecard directly instead of 3v3.

Thanks,
Rob

Thanks Rob.
I can send a photo of the setup tonight, but am running a jumper from the VBUS (machine pin 40) on the Pi Pico to the VUSB of the notecarrier, so would be about 5V from the USB input on Pi Pico. Would it be better to use the V+ pin on the notecarrier if I am going to send ~5V instead of 3.3V? I thought the notecarrier could handle 2.5-5.5V, but is that only on the V+ pin?

I can probably also power from a micro-usb or from one of the JST connections if that is better as well for 5V input, but powering from the Pico made sense.

Brian

Hi @BCANDER,

Yeah the V+ pin on the Notecarrier is 5V tolerant, so you should wire it up there instead of VUSB.

Excellent. Thanks again.
Brian