Use of notecard-pseudo-sensor?

I’m attempting to generate pseudo data for testing purposes and came upon this tutorial:
Sensor Tutorial - Blues Wireless Developers.

So installed the pseudo-sensor and ran the demo. Temp doesn’t change. Didn’t know the Notecard has a humidity sensor. Then read that the temp updates every 5 minutes and the loop is 15 seconds.

So, used numpy random number generator to generate data for testing.

Don’t understand the purpose of notecard-pseudo-sensor?

Hi @scjerry and welcome to the Blues Wireless community!

I’m wondering where you’re seeing that the temp updates every 5 minutes? Under the covers both the Python and Arduino libraries call card.temp on the Notecard which provides a temperature reading from the onboard sensor.

Thanks,
Rob

Hi @scjerry !

I’m the author of the Arduino pseudo-sensor. The purpose for the sensor was less about providing accurate information and more about providing a standard experience between Arduino and Python with “play data” so you can progress through our tutorials without needing to wire up a physical sensor.

It sounds like you have come up with a excellent method for testing the data flow between the Notecard and Notehub.io, and it seems like you are off to a great start! You appear to be a power user, which is great, but we don’t expect everyone to have your level of skill.

If you have suggestions about how we might improve the pseudo-sensor, I would love to hear them.

Thanks,
Zak

For full transparency, the temperature data is real and accurate, but the humidity data is randomly generated (similar to what you’ve done with numpy).

Hi Zak
As you can see, the temp doesn’t change even though I put my thumb on the Notecard
expecting it to warm up.

Still didn’t know the Notecard had a humidity sensor.
@scjerry

Temperature: 29.25 degrees C
Humidity: 47.8974%
{‘total’: 1}
Humidity: 49.0783%
Humidity: 48.5936%
Humidity: 47.4864%
Humidity: 48.5884%
Humidity: 47.2745%

The Notecard doesn’t have a humidity sensor (the data is randomly generated). You might have better luck raising the temperature by covering the entire Notecard under your palm for instance.

Rob

I’m sorry I wasn’t clear, the Notecard does not have a humidity sensor. The humidity data is randomly generated (similar to what you’ve done with numpy).

On the other hand, the Notecard DOES have an onboard temperature sensor, and we use that to capture temperature information. However, as you have noticed, the temperature information is only updated once every five minutes, so changes don’t happen quickly - it would be better for monitoring the temperature of a room over time. If you are noticing the temperature is not changing over 5 minute intervals, then you have discovered a bug.

I can ask the firmware team if the Notecard is capable of sampling the temperature at a greater frequency, but it was not an option at the time when I wrote the pseudo-sensor.

1 Like