External Hologram SIM

I am using the Notecarrier AF with an ESP32 Feather. I am able to get everything working and uploading data to Notehub using the built in SIM but I cannot get the device to connect using an external Hologram SIM. Do I need to select an APN like in one of the forum posts,

{“req”:“card.wireless”,“mode”:",airtelgprs.com"}

except specify Hologram? If so do I just select {“req”:“card.wireless”,“mode”:",hologram.com"}??

Hi @mdede439,

If you’re using a Hologram SIM (the first five digits of the SIM should be “89445”), please use the following card.wireless command:

{
  "req": "card.wireless",
  "apn": "hologram"
}

You can also consult our Using External SIM Cards guide.

Thanks,
Rob

Thanks for the response, however when I use the external SIM it does recognize there is one inserted, then sees it as an AT&T SIM and tries to connect. After it fails it looks like it sees it as a Hologram SIM and tries to connect and then fails. It never connects with the external SIM.

I am going to try the card.wirelesscall and see if that changes things.

Thanks.

Michael D.

I have tried using

{
“req”: “card.wireless”,
“apn”: “hologram”
}

But still no luck. I had a look at your guide and it doesn’t really say when or how to use the command. Do I send it once and the card saves this configuration over reset or power off/on? Do I send it anytime and it will change its configuration and start trying to connect via the new APN? Do I set the new APN and then insert the SIM? Does any of this make any difference? Does the version of Note Card I have make a differnce? I am using the NB GL 500.

Hi @mdede439,

I think we need to capture a trace log on this device so we can see what is happening. Can you please run through the instructions provided in this forum post (you can use the online REPL at https://dev.blues.io to save the trace) and then PM it to me here?

Thanks,
Rob

I wasn’t sure what you meant by PM you so I just replied to this email. On the forum post I do not see anyway of uploading log files, just pictures.

The log file is the whole history of my experimentation with this device. I do not know how to clear the history.

(Attachment notecard_2021-12-10T20_51_36.761Z.log is missing)

Hi @mdede439 ,

Sorry for the delay! Upon looking at your trace log, the Hologram SIM is trying to connect to GSM, which won’t work:

{"status":"Hologram APN hologram scanning GSM then M1 then NB1","sync":true}

Can you please try card.wireless command that will force a connection to Cat-M1?

{
  "req": "card.wireless",
  "mode": "m"
}

Do the Note card keep all these configuration changes in memory over a power cycle or reset? if so how do I reset the config to factory?

Hi @mdede439,

Take a look at the card.restore API to perform a factory reset.