Clarification of Neo-monitor mode operation

I have a question about the operation of the 1-5 Neopixels in this mode. Do all the Neopixels flash the same color? Is there a way to disable the Neopixels when not on USB power (like in monitor mode)?

Maybe this is also a feature request - could the behavior be overridden (like in monitor mode), so that the color of the Neopixels could be set (red/yellow/green is okay) and add a position parameter to specify which one is being set. This would be really handy when using the Notecard without an MCU.

Thanks,
Ralph

Hey @ralphjy,

I have a question about the operation of the 1-5 Neopixels in this mode. Do all the Neopixels flash the same color?

The way it works currently is 1, 2, or 5 pixels are supported. If 2 or 5, the various functions that cause flashing (net busy, etc) are redistributed among the pixels in a way that makes sense visually, so that all ‘colors’ aren’t multiplexed on a single one.

You can set how many Neopixels to use with the following command (and changing the count to be either 1, 2, or 5.

{"req":"card.aux","mode":"neo-monitor","count":5}

Is there a way to disable the Neopixels when not on USB power (like in monitor mode)?

Yes, the card.monitor request also works with neo-monitor mode.

Maybe this is also a feature request - could the behavior be overridden (like in monitor mode), so that the color of the Neopixels could be set (red/yellow/green is okay) and add a position parameter to specify which one is being set.

Ah, interesting. Could you provide a little more detail on your use case? It sounds like you want more control over which lights to use, what colors they show, etc, but it’d be helpful to know the specific things you’d like to set.

TJ

Hi TJ,

Thanks for the info. Just what I needed. Going to try that out soon.

As for the feature request, I didn’t have a specific case yet - but I had thought of using it as status/alert indicator when using the Notecard in standalone mode (i.e. without external host MCU - if I were using an MCU I’d use that to drive the Neopixels). In the standalone case, the note would have to come from some logic in the cloud via Notehub.

I actually thought of another mode that would be nice - probably asking for too much…
It would be nice to use Track mode and Neo-monitor mode simultaneously. Hardware wise it is just changing the Neo-monitor button assignment to Aux3 (I know that it is currently Aux1 for Monitor mode compatibility). Not sure how hard it is in software, but it is another mode.

Thanks,
Ralph

1 Like