Airnote not shown in "Device Location" panel

My Airnote is running and sending data since a few days, but it is not shown in the “Device Location” panel of Safecast’s dashboard. It does also not appear in the list of connected devices.

What setting am I missing?

Thank you very much and best regards.

Alberto

Hi @AlberTO and welcome to the Blues Wireless community!

If you scan the QR code on the Airnote do you see the device ID? If so can you send that to me? I can take a look to see why your device might not be showing up.

Thanks,
Rob

Hi Rob,

the code number that appears after scanning is 864475044186970/708934

Thank you for your help and best regards.

Alberto

It looks like your Airnote is not reporting its location correctly. Just to be sure - is the Airnote located outdoors with a clear view of the sky?

The Airnote is hanging on a side wall of a 4 m wide recessed balcony at the 7th floor of a building. The balcony is oriented South/South-East.

Here is a first picture:

Thanks!

Here is a second picture, but taken from “inside”:

Ok, this makes sense now. Ideally the Airnote is attached to the outside wall (facing out) in full sun. The solar panel at the top of the device isn’t going to get much (if any) sunlight in its current position, so you’ll have a power issue before too long. By facing out you’ll get appropriate sunlight and a clear view to acquire signals from GPS satellites.

Hi Rob,

well aware about the sunlight problem, I am preparing a protected and noise-filtered 5 V supply system with a 90° micro-USB connector, to keep the Airnote “alive” without having to worry about the sun.

The GPS signal acquisition is something I didn’t consider to be troublesome, because in that same place the radiation monitor bGeigie (the first Safecast’s devices I’ve built) usually acquires a correct GPS lock.

Unfortunately I don’t have alternatives for the installation. What if I send you the coordinates of the place and you type them in the system?

Regards,

Alberto

Yes, I can also do that! Feel free to send me the lat/lng.

Great Rob!

Here I am:

45.032371 / 7.648737

Thanks again!

Alberto

Should be all set now! Let me know if you notice any other issues.

Rob

Now it’s OK!

Thank you very much, Rob!

Regards,

Alberto

Hi Rob,

Sorry for disturbing you again about the same topic, but I can’t find my Airnote device in this page:

https://grafana.safecast.cc/d/t_Z6DlbGz/safecast-all-airnotes?orgId=1

What am I missing?

Thanks and regards,

Alberto

Interesting. Was it showing up in this same report last week?

Alberto,

The devices on the all Airnote page is for the last 24 hours with valid GPS if no lat/lon is received the device will not be visual. This is done to filter out old devices.

Your Airnote data is going into the Ingest Database (AWS RDS), but not all the time with GPS.
You can see your data at Grafana

Regards,
rob oudendijk

Alberto,

BTW, seem you Airnote is not charging at all.

Regards,
Rob

No…

Cheers

Alberto

Hi Rob,

Isn’t it possible to add my device to the “All Airnote” page by manually entering its coordinates, as already done with my personal dashboard?

Thanks & regards,

Alberto

I know Rob, thanks.

The Airnote is kept out of direct sunlight, otherwise it will warm up too much altering all the measurements.

In the meanwhile I would like to see how long it can survive in these conditions, before connecting it permanently to a 5 V DC supply mini USB cable.

Cheers,

Alberto

Alberto,

Yes, that is possible, but we would prefer to have the query that pulls the devices, be automatic. That way it will be scalable. I will investigate why your device is not showing on the map.

Regards,
rob