Airnote extrenal SIM not working

I am trying to set up an Airnote to be used in Korea and needs to be setup for Soracom.io. I followed the instructions in the documentations, but the SIM seems not to be able to connect.

Furthermore, I have a log file, but it seems that I can not attach the .log file to this message.

Regards,
Rob

Hi Rob - Can you DM me the log file (or send it to me via email, I think you have it already).

Thanks,
Rob

Rob,

Getting somewhere. I had made a not correct cut of the micro to nano SIM. Now the SIM is correctly detected. But connecting with the {“req”:“card.wireless”,“apn”:“soracom.io”} does not connect me.

I checked to documentation, but I could not find any details of the {“req”:“card.wireless”,“apn”:“xxxxxx”} command. I think I need to be able to add a user/password to the JSON string to get the modem to the apn connected.

From the soracom website about SIM setup:

• If using a non-iOS device : Set the following access point (APN) settings.
    • APN : soracom.io
    • User name: sora
    • Password : sora

Jus curious what’s the status with South Korea? I was inspired to try a couple of these out after hearing about them on The Amp Hour podcast. Alas SK is on the list of “not supported” countries. Any prospects of that changing any time soon?

-Chris Lott, The Stumbler
Sacheon, South Korea

Hey @TheStumbler,

And welcome to the Blues community :slightly_smiling_face:

We’re working on adding support, but short term your only option is to use an external Soracom or 1NCE SIM card, and to follow this guide to using external SIM cards with the Notecard.

TJ

Okay. I have a dev kit en route and some SIM cards from 1NCE on the way. I’m suspicious how this is going to work. Last I investigate things, for my own personal use, the South Korean regulations on SIM cards are super strict. As in, for example, a foreigner was not allowed to have two devices, and Korean citizens were also restricted in some manner. This may have changed as we continie to get more and more standalone systems connecting to the cellular networks.