Access raw accelerometer data?

Hi gang,

Is there a way to access raw x/y/z accelerometer data? If not, please consider this a feature request. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hey @hgoldwire thanks for the question, and welcome to the community!

Raw accelerometer data is not currently developer-accessible, so your feature request is noted! What are you thinking of using the raw data for, if you had access to it?

I want to determine orientation with greater precision than face-up/-down etc.

My device will be installed in potentially any orientation, so I want to take x/y/z accel readings as a baseline, and then I want to periodically take new x/y/z readings, from which I can infer pitch/roll relative to the baseline.

2 Likes

Great, thanks for the additional context! I’ll log a feature request with the firmware team. Thanks again for posting and don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions.

Yes please - raw accelerometer data would be appreciated for change of orientation

I second this feature request. Would like to do earthquake detection.

Any updates on this? If not, I am adding myself to the list of interested parties…

I just realized we failed to reply to this thread re: accessing data from the onboard accelerometer! In case you missed it, as of Notecard firmware v3.4.1, the card.aux.serial API with "mode": "notify,accel" lets you access the onboard accelerometer data by connecting to the AUXTX and AUXRX pins (see the “Accelerometer Mode” example).

Thanks,
Rob